Built in 1896
200 East Main St.
Built in 1896 by William J. Clarke, the three-story building represents a significant portion of the town’s business history. Clarke, an Irish immigrant, moved to Little Traverse in 1876 and was involved in different ventures but primarily a mercantile business first located on the 100 block of East Main Street. After the new building was completed, Clarke moved his business there. Stein’s dry goods store was also located in the building. Banking would come later, in 1905 to be exact, when Clarke incorporated as Emmet County State Bank and received a bank charter from the State of Michigan. In 1975 the bank changed its name to the Harbor Springs State Bank, and in 1993 changed again to First Community Bank with locations in Harbor Springs, Petoskey, Cheboygan, Traverse City, and Grand Rapids. Today the bank is still operated by the fourth and fifth generations of the Clarke family.