Holy Childhood of Jesus Catholic Church
Current building dates to 1892; original mission dates to 1829
West Main Street
The original mission at New L’Arbre Croche started in 1829 when a number of the local Odawa tribe followed Father Peter de Jean to the mission by the bay. A small church and hewn-log school were built and by September of 1829, there were 13 day students and 25 boarders in the school. In 1892, the new church building was erected over the original church building (apparently to keep the city from straightening Main Street).