The Harbor Springs Library Digital Collection on OverDrive
The Harbor Springs Library is pleased to offer digital and audio books for FREE through the OverDrive app! We're now part of a consortium of Northern Michigan libraries who share a digital collection consisting of over 17,000 ebooks and over 2,000 audio books and also a growing number of albums and movies all available to download to any major device (iPad, iPhone, Kindle, Android, Nook, Chromebook and more) or to read, listen to, or view right in your browser.
Just as in our physical library, if another patron has checked out a title that you're interested in, you can place a hold on up to 5 titles at a time and when they become available, you'll receive an email. You'll have two days to borrow the book before your hold is cancelled. You can check out up to 5 titles at a time for 2 weeks. At the end of the 2 week period, the book will automatically return to the collection. Most ebooks can be returned early or renewed.
To access the Up North Digital Collection on OverDrive You need to have an online account with the Harbor Springs Library first (not just a library card, but a username/password with Follett), which allows you to renew and place holds on our books from home.
If you don’t already have a Follett account:
- Click here to create a new account with the Harbor Springs Library.
- Create a user name and password. REMEMBER THEM.
- From your device, go into the app store and search for “OverDrive” and download the app for free.
- You'll then need to open an online OverDrive account.
- When you open the app, click on "sign up." It will ask how you'd like to sign in- don’t click library card or Facebook, but rather enter your email address and create a password. Then click “Sign In.”
- Click on “Add Library” and search for the Harbor Springs Library (you can also just search with the zip code 49740).
- You’ll be taken to the Up North Digital Collection. In the upper right hand corner, click “sign in.”
- Select the Harbor Springs Library from the “Select Library” menu. Click “Go.”
- Click on the text beneath Harbor Springs Library (“Harbor Springs Library users, please click here to sign into this system.”)
- Now you’ll need to sign in using your HSL online account username and password from the first step.
- Now you’re signed in!
- You can browse books, read samples, and borrow them easily. Go into Checkouts from your account to download your selections.
- We're excited to offer this service to the patrons of the Harbor Springs Library and thank all of our donors for making this possible.